Village Tree Board
Tree and Historic House Scavenger Hunt
May 14 - May 18, 2023
Click here for more information!
The Village of Fairport has received the Tree City USA designation each year since 2003. This award program has been established by the National Arbor Day Foundation to recognize cities, towns, and villages that develop and invest in comprehensive urban forestry programs.
Village Tree Board Members:
- Matthew Brown, Chair
- Jane DeMeis
- William Maier
- Reinald Smith
- Natasha Besch-Turner
- Zakery Steele (Alternate Member)
- Sue Wahl (Alternate Member)
In serving as “caretaker” for the more than 3,400 trees sited on Village property and right-of-ways, Fairport has met or exceeded the four required standards for the Tree City USA designation including:
- A legally constituted Tree Board;
- A Village tree ordinance;
- A comprehensive forestry program supported by a minimum investment of $2 per capita per year; and
- An Arbor Day proclamation by the Village Board and an Arbor Day observance.
Shade which provides savings on air conditioning costs, cools parking lots, and reduces fumes from engines and fuel tanks;
- Acting as a windbreak which can reduce fuel consumption and provide energy savings in winter;
- Reducing stormwater runoff and soil erosion;
- Filtering and reducing air pollutants;
- Providing a calming effect on vehicle traffic; and
- Increasing property values.